Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Happy Mommies/ newly moms

Today's post is all about the early days of baby's arrival. 
I am going to share with you my personal experience. 
In my post "about me" I told you that I live far from my family, so all the time during pregnancy and giving birth, and baby's early months I was on my own!
As I had scheduled an elective C-section, I watched many videos, and read a lot about the delivery. As my hubby is not a big fan of public classes, we skipped the classes that the hospital provided, Just the thing I can say about those days is that I was so scared !!! I was thinking I am very lonely except for my hubby who has to be at work, and read that I will be confined to bed, unable to move about for weeks!!! 
Well everyone's  experience is diffrent. In my case, I was walking by the second day. All those scary videos and articles became for me just Internet stories. During my hospital stay, my whole experience centered on having and holding a very lovely baby!!!  
I was totally in love.

Luckily the hospital I gave birth in promoted breastfeeding, and I had a lactation consultant almost everyday. My hubby is a great medical dictionary even though he didn't pursue a medical degree. However I believe he has studied even more about healthcare out of his interest than those at medschool. For numerous reasons, he totally disagreed with using infant formula! And that's why he supported me for breastfeeding.
The best thing for new moms if they don't want to go through the hormonal changes suddenly which in some cases could lead to postnatal depression is breastfeeding!
All the new moms have concerns over their ability, their milk supply and so many   unnecessary things. 
For the first 2 months, everyday I was worried my milk supply is not enough, and my baby is still hungry! Well I wasn't imagining his hunger as newborns breastfeed almost all the time. Every day for a month, in the late evening around 6 to 7pm, my baby started crying to be breastfed. And this activity can last like 4 to 5 hours non-stop,till he fell sleep. Still I am not sure if he was hungry or was it colic?! 
From 5 weeks old, he never got colic again as I learnt about the causes of colic and had fine tuned my diet till he reached  13 weeks old.
During the crying month I was too lonely, worried and desperate. My hubby had some important work to do during those days, that's why I was totally alone.
Well now when I look back to those days,  I feel like I'm too happy it's over but ladies, it's over very fast !!! And the good news is he gained weight perfectly. 
I will write about the recommended diet to increase breast milk supply which works on me in another post. 
As a new mom with early experience, I tell you my baby needs to cry then suckle, and we are doing great! 
Everyday I am more in love with my baby, doing all his chores by myself let me know him better, and our relationship becomes beautiful.
Now that he is 3 and half months he doesn't cry anymore even if he is hungry, instead he is trying to talk to me, he makes gurgling sounds whereby the volume and pronunciation are different, it is like a conversation to me! He is too happy and that makes me feel like I am a good mom! 
"Being successful in what we do is a reason to be happy."
During my journey with my baby I am gaining new insights - one of them is to forget about the well meaning advice of others about babies ... Just go with your heart ... your love and your instinct works the best. 
Sahar.H

No comments:

Post a Comment